Welcome to the Star Citizen Ship Buyer’s Guide for the Drake Caterpillar,
The Dragonfly is on Concept Sale at time of Recording until the 27th of June.
But the Caterpillar is available in a Multi-Ship Pack and as a Standalone Ship.
- 2x Dragonflies & a Caterpillar – $300 (The Caterpillar also has LTI in this package)
- Caterpillar Standalone $245 (this only has 6 months insurance)
I suggest you grab a LTI Dragonfly and then upgrade it to a Caterpillar
The Caterpillar’s come with the VFG Industrial Hangar.
You can See all the Sale Details & Get Yourself one on the RSI Website Here
About The Caterpillar
The Old Caterpillar
So the Original Concept for the Caterpillar was for a much smaller ship
Comparable to the Freelancer but more for boarding and Piracy. But with solid options for being an armoured Cargo Carrier too. Even then it was more comparable to a modular Constellation. But this was back when the Caterpillar was planned to be 62.5m Long.
The Evolution of the Caterpillar
It’s now the Big Evil Brother of 2 Conjoined Constellation Taurus Stuck together with the Front of an Endeavor stuck on the side.
It Got BIG, it’s at least 100m in size now and may go as large as 120m.
I think it’s expected closer to the 100m mark. So that’s now at least the length of the Starfarer.
“Like all Drake ships, the Caterpillar has versatility in its DNA. With multiple cargo bays available to be re-purposed for a multitude of functions, the Caterpillar’s modular design allows it to be perfect for everything from armored cargo hauls to effective search and rescues. And, when paired with the new 2947 Dragonfly, the Caterpillar can add one more role to its already impressive roster: a mini carrier. That’s right, the Cat can launch Dragonflies directly from the cargo hold as protection fighters or as agile scouts!”
It’s Drake which means function over comfort, utility, lots of hard-points, easy access to components, cheap to maintain, simple.
It might not have the best systems in the way of power-plants, coolers, avionics & shields, think old but reliable tech.
We don’t know much about the Caterpillar anymore Statistic, Items & Hardpoints wise other than:
- It has 4 large body modules
- 1 front module
- An Engine Section
- And the Side Command Module
The Command Module
The main Bridge and control is on an Asymmetrical Detachable Module, it’s a Freelancer (excluding the wings) sized ship in it’s own right.
- Has 2 Floors
- Living Area, Engineering, Command & Bridge
- And it is it’s own ship / Escape Pod
- It can detach and reattach to the main body of the Caterpillar in Space
- I expect you might want to do that for a variety of reasons.
- You might go exploring planetside or dense asteroid field(Hopefully you can store at least 1 Dragonfly there)
- If the main body is used in a boarding action (again this is an assumption on my part), then you might want to detach the command module for saftey or for some other reason.
- It’s a perfect escape pod, in fact it looks like it’s pretty similar to the Endeavours Front Section in function. Exploration, Safety, Escape, Utility & Command.
The Main Body
- The Caterpillars main body has the main Engine Room
- The 4 Body Modules
- And The Front Module
These modules are what gives the Caterpillar it’s name but also are it’s strength, the ship is going to be incredibly modular & outfittable for sooo many roles and situations.
We know that there are Cargo Modules, in fact all Caterpillars that have been on sale so far come with “cargo” modules but I expect we will get a huge range of other modules:
We saw in the Caterpillar Whiteboxing from awhile ago and the more recent internal re-whiteboxing some possibilities:
- Personnel / Crew & Barracks
- Medical Bay – Search & Rescue
- Workshop – Outfitting & Shop
- Chop Shop – Salvage
- What looks like a EVA / Quick Troop Launcher, I would expect this to allow easy jettison of Marines for Boarding & Assaults.
- Multiple Ship Docking Collar
- Tractor Beam
- Modules all open up
- Weapons Modules / Torpedoes / Turrets & Guns
- EWAR / Tracking / Mapping
- Swappable but it’s own thing
- The Most obvious thing is probably for boarding maybe ramming & boarding
Roles & Strengths
- Piracy / Pirate Base
- Pocket Carrier
- Command (Maybe Not C&C)
Search & Rescue
Boarding / Assault
In-fact this is probably the most moddable ship around
- There is likely to be loads of roles it can do
- It’s Not a Dog-fighter, it’s going to be vulnerable to Fighters, Bombers and Torpedo Bombers unless it has a suitable escort.
- You need to buy the modules & fit them
- The Stigma and Reputation that Drake and the Caterpillar has, people will assume pirate.
- Needs manpower to be effective
- The Command pod is a large obvious target to aim for
- The length of the ship is going to hamper speed
- When fully laden with cargo the ship is going to suffer with mass
Thoughts & Notes
I am always pretty hyped about ships, I like 99% of them… I think the only ones I don’t like are the ones that are TOTALLY pointless ships like the Aurora ES, LX & CL. Possibly even the Hull A annoys me as it’s such a low tier transport… but it may have lots of uses I haven’t foreseen… I was trying to make a point but started talking about ships I don’t personally see the point in…Oh yeah;
I am a big fan of Drake and was upset when the Polaris was being manufactured by RSI.
But The Caterpillar it’s as close to a Drake Corvette as we are going to get.
It’s likely it’s the last time it’s going to be on sale before it’s hangar ready & be aware ships normally go up in price once they are moved to the Ready Phase. The Starfarer saw a jump from $195 to $300.
Being able to launch lots of Dragonflies being the pocket carrier I have desired for a long time.
It’s the perfect large ship for my needs. 4 Giant interchangeable modules. The Caterpillars we are currently purchasing are the “cargo” variants and come with 4 cargo modules but they will add more modules for us to purchase in the future. And expect these Cargo Modules are perfect for Dragonflies and Cargo in unison.
“Imagine loading up a Caterpillar with a trio of Dragonflies, flying close support and retrieval for a Cutlass Red ambulance or strafing a massive cargo ship. It’s all possible with the 2947 Drake lineup.”
Jump Points… It’s not small jump point capable that’s for sure.
I’m not sure what the constraints will be on Medium and Large Jump Points after they have been balanced a bit.
One cargo pod alone is bigger than the Constellation’s cargo and the command module is about as big as the bridge-living quarters of the connie. Not to mention it’s suppose to hold at least twice as much as the Taurus and four times as much as the other two.
I believe the loaner for the Caterpillar is the Constellation Andromeda.
Constellations are similar price wise at the moment BUT I think you are getting everything and more with the Caterpillar, that said the Constellations are pre-fit for a specific role & with the Caterpillar we should more fairly compare it to the Taurus as they are both basically the stripped down cargo variants. At the $150 / $245 the Taurus does certainly have it;s merits in value.
BUT the Caterpillar is huge now, it’s going to be more versatile possibly more than any other ship and maybe quite good at the roles it’s sensibly fitted for.
The Polaris Corvette is another alternative, maybe I mean we don’t know much about it other than it’s chunky but also sleek and made by RSI.
The Caterpillar is both great choices for captains that know what they want the Caterpillar for but also for Captains that want a large multi-crew ship but don’t know what mechanics interests them, that modularity lending itself to really specific tasks but also players that want to do a bit of everything.
It’s going to be a lot easier to run than an Idris too & ticks a lot of the same boxes.
Remember you can Grab a LTI Dragonfly and upgrade it to the Caterpillar, that will get you some hangar flair & the LTI insurance tho you will get a Selfland Hangar rather than the VFG Industrial doing that.